Saturday, January 14, 2012

Enhanced senses

My current vision is a blind right eye and a left eye that can only see movements. Yes, its a struggle everyday but I am coping quite well except perhaps my skills in walking with the white cane or walking with a person.I may be losing my vision, but I realise that my hearing increases and my smelling too!. Increase in hearing is good but increased smelling can be a torture sometimes (especially when you walk into the toilet),
Because I no longer can recognise a person by looking at them, its quite a struggle. Now that I am working, I need to at least recognise my bosses!So far I have no problem recognising my bosses, I do it two ways,
1) Their perfume smell
2) The way they walk (if she wears the same heels everyday because every heals makes different sounds and every person walks differently)
Ok, there is another secret way
that I am quite embarass to tell...its by the person body odour (BO) Yes i mean BO!. I am however not really good in recognising the way people sounds when they talk because not many people approach me and talk to me. I think people thinks I am weird just because I am visually impaired. But of course I recognise voices of those people who are close to me such as my family and close friends .
Its not a surprised that doctors nowadays laccks compassion. I remember going to check my eyes in the hospital and the eye doctor just said 'you can't work, you can't be a pharmacist'.The other day when I was going home from work, my mom and I pass by the eye doctor. Of course I can't see him, but my mom saw. She said the doctor was so bad because he didd not even bother to walk to me and ask how was I. Actually not only doctors have no compassion, even people in our society has no compassion. One early morning, I was walking with my mom in the hospital when she told me to wait at a place because she wants to help a old woman walking with her walking sticks to find a place to sit.While she was helping the old woman, I stood there with my white cane wondering if anyone would ask me if I needed any help. I was there for about half a minute, I heard many people passed by, but nobody offered me help.Like what my mom said 'if the knife does not cut yur flesh, you won't feel the pain'.

This week I've learnt how to do allocation and verification of prescription on the computer.However I was having problem navigating because the hospital computer system was not really compatible with my software. I can verify but when I want to check the clinical notes to see if the particular patient has renal failure, I was unable to accessed it.I can do allocating on the computer too, but it takes longer than a person with vision, because they can click where they want, but i have to find my way there with the keyboard. It is definately slower , but at least it is possible. Anyway, I have given up. I am just so tired of struggling to get people to understand how visually impaired people work. I can't fulfill my pre-registered pharmacist (PRP) requirements, so I have decided to let go.It was a difficult decision, but I think its the best thing for me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home